Fly with Yoga – Vimanasana
Only few things make us feel elevated. Everyone wants to feel that way, but do not know how to get there. That is where Yoga comes into picture, always the easy way out. Want to feel like you can soar the skies like a free bird? Yoga will help you do that. Literally!
Vimanasana, also known as Aeroplane pose, is one of the challenging poses one may aspire to perform. But we can guarantee that be it a lady or a man, everyone can easily triumph over this. All you have to do is follow the proper steps (to be enlisted ahead) and practice regularly, as per your convenience and you will be yielding all the benefits this pose offers.
To go about this pose, initially you must use a mat for your own ease and ensure that there is some space around you to allow you to stretch. After your setup is complete, just follow these simple steps:
- Stand on the mat upright and spread your legs to about hip-width.
- Now, put your right leg forward and ensure you have a firm grip.
- While you inhale, slowly lift your left leg, such that the leg is in level with the waist. Simultaenously, stretch your ankle to give your leg a complete stretch.
- During the same time, stretch your hands forward so as to resemble an aircraft. For further body, stretch you may even join your hands.
- Hold your position for 6 seconds.
- After this, exhale and relax your body and come back to the intial upright position.
- Repeat the procedure for a total of 3 times in a day.
Initiall, you may not able to completely stretch yourself out, but as we all know it – Practice makes a man perfect! The ladies who have been visiting my classes regularly, who initially could not even lift their leg, can perform this yoga asana with utmost perfection.
So what do you gain from it? From a review given by the very same ladies, the prime gain is the flexibility that they have gained over the period. Other advantages include lengthening the spine, strengthening the legs, improving the concentration level on a daily basis. Also, the self-confidence gained from accomplishing this yoga pose is another complementary gift.
With enough pratice, you can carry out this asana on pretty much any terrain. So be it a studio, open landscape or a desert, you can always stay focused and keep flying with yoga!
Namaste Yoga Classes, located in Bandra, Mumbai, is a unique “Ladies Only” yoga and fitness center rendering services for the ladies of Bandra, Khar, Santacruz and beyond. Over here, our motto has always been : “For a lady, By a lady!”